Once you’ve decided on a fundraising activity, these tried-and-tested tips for running a successful fundraising event should help get you on your way:
• Be ultra-organised: An event plan, or timeline, will help keep you on track. Details can include the scheduled event date, fundraising target, names of helpers and a list of everything you need to do to ensure your fundraising event goes off without a hitch.
• Keep your costs low: Local businesses welcome the opportunity to sponsor a good cause and this can take the form of money, goods or services. In return, sponsors usually expect recognition, such as the use of their logo on your promotional material or event merchandise. Don’t forget to send a “thank you” certificate after the event.
• Get the media involved: Publicising your event can attract people that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to reach. Try to get your local newspaper, radio station or television channel interested in running a story about your fundraiser – CCIA can help you draft press releases or any other material you may need.
• Use the web: Everyday Hero is an online fundraising site that takes care of the donation process for you. All you do is set up your personal page with details of your event and share the web link with your family, friends and colleagues. They can then donate online, simply and securely, via BPAY or credit card and Everyday Hero will deposit the funds directly into CCIA’s account.
• Have fun and be proud of your achievements: Remember that while we are raising funds for a very serious cause, we like to do it with a smile on our faces! Every single dollar you raise will make a difference to the lives of children with cancer. So give yourselves a pat on the back – we’re proud of you!